For more Goodenough adventures,
follow our Instagram @TheGoodenoughFamily

Monday, November 09, 2015

The Tail: Which Will You Choose?

Last night, after a pleasantly restful day of music and feasting, I took off my shoes as the phone rang.
It was Papa.
Suddenly, I noticed a really big spider crawling onto Ephraim's bag, which leaned against the wall near Asaph's back.
"Hey Asaph," I said. "Watch out, there's a really big spider."
When he saw it he gasped.
"Havilah, kill it!"
I laughed. "Nope!" I had gotten enough bugs for them today and I wanted to have clean socks tonight.
"Havilah!" He said desperately.
"Hold on a second Papa." Ephraim said. "Here, Asaph..." he gestured helplessly. "Just kill it."
He looked over the situation.
"Havilah! Aren't you going to take care of the spider?"
They freaked out for a minute or so while I watched and laughed from the top bunk. Finally, Ephraim picked up a sticky-trap for cockroaches. He gently touched the back of the spider. Asaph got into bed, as far away from him as possible.
"Ephraim take it out." He said.
Well, after that they went back to talking on the phone.
I liked listening to them talk without saying anything myself. Just hearing it without making conversation was happy for me. When they started talking particulars, like, "We're gonna need to buy..." and "You'll have to take out the..."  I opened my book and started reading.
When it was ripely late and we finally shut off the light, I read some more while Asaph and Ephraim chatted, every once in a while paying attention to what they were saying. When I finally shut the book, I sighed.
"I think I'd like to have a tail," I said.
"Havilah, how long would your tail be? What kind of tail would you want?" Ephraim asked seriously.
"Well, I'd have one like a monkey's, really strong so I could climb with it..." I said. "And when I walked, I'd drape it over my arm."
"I'd have mine go straight down toward the ground and then the end would lift just a little, parallel to it." Asaph said. By this time, we were laughing about twice as hard as made sense.
"Yeah, that's how mine would be too!" I said.
"No, your's is a lady tail. Mine is a gentleman tail."
"Okay."
"I think mine would be a wolf tail." Ephraim said. "With ears! And I'd have straight, white facial hair."
"Like the monkey king?" Asaph said.
"No!" Ephraim was offended. "It wouldn't go all the way to my eyes!"
"My tail would have hair," I added. "It would be about four inches long."
"What?" Ephraim laughed at my weird idea.
"No, no, mine would be like a poodle's!" Asaph said. By now we were giddy with hilarity.
"We should text McKennaugh and ask her what hers would be like!"
"We should text everybody!"
"I think we all know what would happen if McKennaugh had a tail!"
"How about a horse tail?" Ephraim suggested.
"How about a pig tail?" Asaph said.
"Oh, that would look so bad!"
"How about a goat tail!" Everybody groaned.
"That would be horrible!"
Well, this is what happens when we stay up too late.

It's been different with Asaph. Before, it was me, and Ephraim. Now it's a club! We just needed a third, y'know, to make the vote odd.
The End

6 comments:

Bryophyte said...

Pig tail? You jerks.=#

Havi said...

Hey, that's not what I meant!
We never actually specified what tail you would have, but we were probably all imagining something along the same lines as each other. I'm sure, since you're famous for your big, curly hair at our house, you can guess, sort of.

Soap said...

I love the creative tail ideas and discussions! I like the dubbing of a certain kind of tail a "gentleman's" tail. That's so grand!
I would like a 3½ foot long tail that i can move like a monkey's tail, with fur that is 2 inches long, black and copper striped. ^^

Bryophyte said...

Curly curls and pigs' tails=big difference!!
;)

Havi said...

Hi Soap! Yeah, that sounds like a good tail; useful and cool looking. Hey, by the way, please don't be offended by any spider killing I mentioned... I hope you don't feel bad about it.
McKennaugh, just stop thinking we were imagining you with a pig's tail! I promise we weren't talking about you, we were just imagining ANYONE with one. :) But if you persist in your ignorance, I will be obliged to laugh at you...

linda said...

Tail? You know my choice of tail right? Long fluffy cat tail, well maybe not too fluffy ha ha of course if you are talking from my head uh then know, but my backside uh sure ha ha ;)