For more Goodenough adventures,
follow our Instagram @TheGoodenoughFamily

Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Home-made Cookies

"Do you remember when silver 
was gold
When the world was lighter and easy 
to hold
And all our questions
Had an answer
All our problems
Had a veil
And all our heroes
Had the devil
By the tail.
Goodness is lonely and the truth
is cold
The world got heavy and the story
got old
And all our answers
Gave us questions
And the silver cord
Was cut
And the devil
Paid our heroes
To shut up."
The other day, I wrote down the lyrics to my favorite Marshall McLean song and I've pretty much learned them. I want to cover it. Ephraim and I keep saying, "Let's play music", but by the time we finish one thing, we have to make dinner or something. Meanwhile it seems like shopping takes so much time, and practicing Kung Fu twice a week is almost overload.

We went shopping this morning and I'm SO happy that we got an hervidor (electric kettle, as it says on the box). We were in the store (Walmart) and we were walking down, toward the register. Ephraim was saying,
"We'd better go before we spend any more money..." when he stopped.
"Ooo."
When I saw it, I said the same thing.
It was a big pile of plastic tubs, some orange and some black. But the thing about these tubs was... They were as big as small bathtubs! Of course, we were thinking the same thing. Luxuriating in a tub and getting clean a lot faster. Maybe even more often.
"Come on," Ephraim said, adding, "we can look at it later. But today we shouldn't get it."
I agreed with him.

We were about to go, right after breakfast (fried rice and corn and peas in tortillas--delicious!), but I wanted to check the mail just in case...
Oh, boy!
It was a package from "family"!
It was written in Asaph's handwriting, suggesting that, as the errand-person, Mama had asked him to mail it. (Asaph writes in a way that looks sloppy at first glance, and then you realize that each letter is the same exact sloppiness.) It was in a white bubble-wrap envelope and it was nice and thick. I took it to the car, where Ephraim was already waiting. As I opened it and took things out, he kept saying,
"Could you be quiet."
There were cards from my dear, sweet Zuriel, and we were pretty sure one from Ammiel and Lazuli.
"Is this from Zuriel?" Ephraim said.
"Oh yes, definitely. That's her special flower."
Unless someone copied her, but she has her own art syle. It's really amazing the way she takes crayons and pens and pencils (what we all start with) and then goes in a completely different direction from most people.
And there was a whole entire bag of cookies! Oh my badness, they are so delicious.
"Can you please not eat that right now."
"I'll eat one." (Emphasis on "one".)
It is so nice to have something like that; we can't make cookies and we can't buy spelt. These are GOOD FOR YOU! I've been longing for treats and they will satisfy me.
"Look, they sent one to me!" Ephraim sounded surprised and like he felt more special that normal. Like he didn't think anybody would really miss him badly enough to send a letter...

This morning, I was singing, "Oh, listen to our wondrous story", and then we both sang the whole song. I was surprised by how much his harmony affected the song. I think a two-part harmony is the nicest, even better than four-part. Or three-part. There are only so many notes you actually want to hear at once. And what's even more interesting to me is the fact that two different voices are like two different instruments. They're meant to be played together, and it sounds much better than recording the same voice twice for two different parts. Now I understand music just one bit better.

The End.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

My letters aren't consistently "sloppy", they're consistently hand-written.

Unknown said...

Havilah, I made those cookies with spelt (no white flour) and honey (no sugar).

Jennifer Goodenough said...

Everybody misses you, Ephraim. Havilah, this was one of my favorite of your blogs. I love that Marshall McLean song also. "All those times I had an answer, now I wish I hadn't spoke". That's me so many times and inside I say, "ugh, Jennifer, shut up".
Wasn't that so like me to send them in a bag instead of a box to save postage? Afterwards I thought that it was probably a bad idea because you would have nothing but cookie crumbles. Did you have to eat them with a spoon?
-Mama

Havi said...

Oh, yeah, we ate 'em with spoons. They're delicious!
Asaph, if your letters are handwritten, what do you call mine? ;)
I could tell you made them with no white flour, that's super happy for me because we keep cheating and getting white rice and noodles. We even got a bag of bread (but it was really yummy and only 69 cents for the whole thing! Don't get mad!) ;)

linda said...

Hey if you mostly shop at Walmart do they have any GF type stuff for y'all? or I should say any health natural type section there yet? or at that location? anywho just wondering if you found some healthy things at Walmart. Ha ha there was something else I was gonna ask or say now i cant remember ha ha . on to next post i missed ;)

Havi said...

There's no "health-food section" or anything... It's not too good.