For more Goodenough adventures,
follow our Instagram @TheGoodenoughFamily

Saturday, October 24, 2015

Back to the car

My badness.
Should I write a whole post about how I'm not going to post because I'm trying to email, and chat with, and call, friends or should I actually post or should I just ignore the blog.
I put a period because I am not asking a question, but stating a dilemma.
I think I'll go so far as to tell you one thing that happened.

Last night, it was bedtime. I was barefoot, not minding the cockroaches that I might accidentally squish on the way to our room. My custom is to climb to my bunk and dust off the bottoms of my feet with my fingers. That keeps my bed from getting full of dirt prematurely.
However, this time I was surprised to see, not one or two, but more than five cockroaches on Ephraim's bed. On his mattress, on the wood (climbing up), and on the desk attachment. I flicked off the largest one and squished it with his shoe (I prefer not stepping on them). But I had premonitions as to what my bed would look like.
Surprisingly, there were none actually in the blankets.
However in the crack between mattress and the bed there were three, obviously just waiting for me to lay down so they could snuggle in. I mean, it's not that bad. But I just would rather not share the bed with insects.
So I said,
"Ephraim,"
"Huh?" He said. I don't like that creepy mood he gets in.
"I'm sleeping in the car."
He scoffed.
"Just over a couple cockroaches?" He says that, but I sometimes feel like he's trying to be tougher than me. As if it's not easy as pie.
"Yeah. Goodnight."
I hauled my blanket and my pillow, with some difficulty, to the car. All through that cold night, I reminded myself,
"Better than the cockroaches."
I figured out there was a crack below me, and no amount of body heat could fill it. It just kept on letting in cold air (and my sleeping bag can't close), and I kept on getting colder till I put my head completely under and curled into a little ball.
Then I dreamed I was in a hot, humid room and there wasn't quite enough to breathe.
I had just said,
"It's a bit stuffy," with the slightest of English accents, when Ephraim woke me up rudely by knocking on the door.
We had to move the car.

Tea this morning was delicious.
Have the most delightful of afternoons, ya'll.

8 comments:

Betsy said...

Reminds me of S. Carolina in my distant Army days. Jumped out of the top bunk barefoot and crunched a very large cockroach. Decided right then and there that the south was not for me. I feel for you!!!

Jennifer Goodenough said...

What time did Ephraim knock on the car and why did you have to move it? Also, didn't you have those sticky traps around the legs of the bunk bed? I think this buggy time must be strengthening you in a new way.

Havi said...

The delivery of wood from Lowe's had arrived. It was seven in the morning, of all the unholy hours of night!
Yeah, we had the sticky traps. This was because he had left his bag sitting around and then put it on the bed.
Yeah, everything can strengthen a person. Unpleasant things do it forcefully though.
Thank you for commenting Grandma Betsy! In response to your other comment, I think we could use a Walmart gift card the most. And thank you!
Our address is
225 Cheyenne Ave
Bartlesville, OK
74003
Love to Mama and the fellow endurer of bugs,
Havilah


linda said...

wait why did you have to move the car? ya we had the ants this yr and terro liquid traps do wonders, although my daughter lover of all creatures big n small does not like the traps but hey it is my house and i don't want ants everywhere, n I am pretty good bout getting spiders to her or outside etc i do not kill everything i see, but I love that my cats find them for me anything that moves they find and I have to get it outside or to my Lullabye before the cats kill it ha ha.

linda said...

Can't wait to mail you stuff n hopefully it will get there before y'all get back here? idk your schedules here n there ya know. Love auntie Linda

linda said...

oh n let E be tough or pretend to be tough ha ha either way embrace your womanhood n dislike of sleeping with roaches etc. I do not know if I could handle the roaches the way you have ha ha! but in the demolition n the spraying both sound fun and any bug bombs exterminators etc you make sure you didn't bring any into your car n stuff righ? man I hope you get rid of those things before your whole fam gets there too! but I know God will take care of you and Leon is a good part of that too! ;) Love again auntie Linda and HER ramblings Havi! ;) #fellowrambler :)

Havi said...

We moved the car so the guy could deliver the wood close to the house.
Oh, I know, I let him do his tough thing. And they treat me better when I do my "woman" thing--you know, clean house, make food, etc. But who'all doesn't want to be tough! Don't worry, no bugs got in the car!
Haha! My fellow rambler, give ye good den!
Love, Havilah

linda said...

n ya i wanna be tough sometime too yes! i think less now though the older i get I say hey can someone help me with this dern heavy thing or whatev it is ya know! but ya stay tough and feminine! ha ha ;) Love you!