For more Goodenough adventures,
follow our Instagram @TheGoodenoughFamily

Thursday, December 10, 2015

Waiting to open our new Christmas present

We are still waiting for our Christmas present to arrive. Every day, we know the time draws closer. Ever day we say, "today's the day!".
I'm looking forward to 2 weeks of rest after the baby comes.

After I delivered Havilah I did not rest but returned immediately to my lifestyle of lifting heavy things and walking miles a day pushing all the groceries etc.
 I hurt my body doing that and underwent a year or two of physical therapy. I still can't lift anything heavy without re-injuring myself and having to go back to lots of daily physical therapy exercises.

After that I started researching how I should take care of myself after delivering a new baby.
Now I stay in bed for three days and then go out to the couch and rocking chair to finish out my 2 weeks of resting. I don't cook or clean. I don't come to the table for meals. I stay put, reclining.

 It is a special time where I can bond deeply with the new baby who is a stranger to me, after all.  I have all day to massage lanolin into his/her sensitive skin, stare into his eyes and fall asleep nursing.
Of course I have to manage the household and that is very difficult. Sometimes I have trouble getting stressed out because I cannot just get up and do it myself. But, I stay down. It is good for the children to take care of the household, work out meals and spoil, 'The Mama'.

At this point, I will still be resting on Christmas day. It will be a Christmas to remember. Thank you Jesus for making my life such a treat.
There was a day that I decided to marry Leon because, "he loves God more than he loves me". That was a day that began the rest of my life of feeling loved and cherished more and more as the years go by.

3 comments:

Jennifer Goodenough said...

I don't want it to sound like our home is always peaceful and perfect. There will always be mold, dirty dishes and siblings quarreling in any family. That's life. I sighed today and asked Leon something like, "is it normal that I feel like I am CONSTANTLY solving problems?!". He said, "of course". ugh
--the mama

Betsy said...

Thank you for the update Jennifer and the insight into what "normal" is for you. I The memory of the quarreling & down right fights between my two boys, with the stress that often accompanied those times, came flooding back as I read your comment. I did not know the Lord then and still learning to lean in a little closer every day.

Your Dad was sick last night with one of his headaches & nausea that has carried over into today. Less than 24 hours after my eye surgery, I found myself driving into Milwaukie for my post op appt. I prayed to my Helper, put myself in his hands and made the trip in rush hour traffic without a hitch. We serve an awesome God who has given me the confidence to make the trip to Vancouver whenever this child arrives. Love to you & the family with prayers for calm & peace today.

Chris said...

Thanks for the update Jennifer. Many of your brothers and sisters in the Lord are waiting for the new baby too! praying it will arrive soon and that you will be ok. Chris