For more Goodenough adventures,
follow our Instagram @TheGoodenoughFamily

Thursday, November 12, 2015

Freedom

When you have a blank page before you, and everything you need to write, you feel like there's no part of you that was made for it.
When you have an easel and every color of paint you desire, and every brush, but the water hasn't touched it and the mess hasn't been started, all you see is white and you forget that you ever wanted to put something there in the first place.
There is too much to work with, and it's just too easy. If you start, you will mar that surface with something less than perfect. Because even you cannot do your best given an ideal start.
It's easier to create a flying horse from an accidental smear than it is to make what you had in mind from the beginning.

2 comments:

Betsy said...

Hi Havilah,

As I peer into the writings you have posted Havilah, I am thankful to the moderator's and to you for this time of discovery. The visits in the past to the Vancouver house, gave me only a glimpse of each one of you. This format is opening a window into the amazing woman you have already become. A gift to me from God.

I showed todays post to your Grandpa and he said: "How does she know that? Only artists know that secret." If I am granted enough time on this earth, reading one of your books may be another gift I treasure.

Love you,
Gma Betsy

Havi said...

Hi Grandma Betsy,
You made me put my hand to my mouth... :) thank you. I'm glad Grandpa read that too. I really want to make a book; and I did make a story that's about half the length of one. I think you might like it; have you read my story blog? If you send me your email by way of Mama I can share it with you.