For more Goodenough adventures,
follow our Instagram @TheGoodenoughFamily

Tuesday, July 26, 2022

Follow up to Naphtali's adventures with his family (with pic)

Waking up in that little broken house in Oklahoma, we WERE cold. Soon, Leon installed a gas wood stove and we all gathered around it and were thankful. There wasn't a kithen but, I plugged in a burner and three times a day I stood, adding food to the pan and serving plates, adding food to the pan and serving plates, etc. etc.  until everyone was full. 

Many exciting changes followed day by day and week by week. The older children installed a toilet behind a blanket, walls, a second bedroom, lighting, a washing machine, a beautiful full kitchen, a new front door.. Once when I was working to pry the front door open it just fell off. I headed out after calling back, "Ephraim, the front door is off again".

I remember when the shower was finally done and the sealant was applied. It was time to go to bed and it still had 4 hours left to cure. A couple of the older children opted to sit up until after midnight, waiting, so that they could take a shower. I remember after we installed the first sink, the children would be playing when they would suddenly remember, pick up their head with shining eyes and say, "I'm going to go wash my hands!" We were learning to be thankful.

Naphtali walked with our family through many more adventures of choosing to live hard. Today he stood in a large opening in the side of our metal building that we affectionately call a barndo. It was 107 degrees outside and he had cut the hole and was installing a window. I took a picture so that I can remember, but it won't be the same as being here with him, today. Next month he is leaving home. He is leaving Oklahoma. He won't be waking up in my house anymore. We knew that we wouldn't get to keep him. We were to raise his body and soul until he was ready to be turned over to the shepherd. He is ready.

At Naphtali's graduation I exhorted him to wake up each morning by praying, "Thank you God!" or at least,"God, help me to thank you, Help me to serve you with gladness today!" 





No comments: