For more Goodenough adventures,
follow our Instagram @TheGoodenoughFamily

Saturday, October 17, 2015

They have these little tabs at the top of the blog where you can name it. It's like naming a chapter. I just DON'T.

I left Ephraim away home this day.
He said he wanted to do the schedule, and all he does at the library is read. It's strange: at home, when we have free time, he does whatever he needs to do on the computer and I read. At the library, he reads and I do stuff on the computer.
Yesterday, Mr. and Mrs. Trumble (former acquaintances from this area) took Ephraim and I out to a Mexican restaurant. Oh, after having to eat that other food, it was more delicious than seemed right. And we got full, so full that when we got home we both wanted to take naps. 
But when we first came in and were greeted in Spanish by native Spanish speakers, I was very much too excited. (And yes, of course I talked to them.) I was begging myself to calm down, but... I was almost giddy with adrenaline. I can't calm down on command! I miss Chile so much I want to cry about it, right here and now. 
It's ridiculous. I know that Chile is hardly different from any other place, being on the Earth as it is. I just... feel at home there like in no other place. I used to think that no place could feel like home because heaven is my home, but I was wrong about that. Just because heaven is my home doesn't mean a place can't feel like it.
Then the Trumbles took us to a different place that is, "reaching out to the Hispanic community". I'm not sure what that means but we are going to go help on Monday as interpreters.
Anyway after we got back, we decided to go shopping. We weren't able to quite finish the mush and we'd thrown it out that morning. Now we were sitting on top of our stuff in the large bedroom, where we are wont to sit during the day since it's hot in the front porch area. I had a notebook (the same one I write my story in) in my hands and had only written "small crowbar" under "Lowe's" as yet. Now, we were dazedly staring (still a bit stupefied from the food), not exactly sure what'all we should get for food. All we had agreed upon as yet was "No more chicken".
Finally, with a look of intellect, Ephraim lifted his head.
"What if," he said, "we didn't eat the same meal for breakfast, lunch, and dinner?"
"Now there's an idea."

The night before yesterday, there was a glorious storm.
In my bed, reading Scorch Trials, it was the perfect weather. Rain, sometimes falling in big drops and coming with a vengeance, and sometimes descending in sheets, made it impossible to see through the car windows. It was cozy and warm under my sleeping bag. When the lightening flashed, it really did flash. And the thunder sounded like a staff pounding on the clay bowl of the sky, breaking through it at times. And like barrels full of the heaviest lead rolling across.
I felt very peaceful, for I feel that if only the sky would dominate us, we would no longer fight amongst and against ourselves, but revel in God's glory only.
That part ends.

This day, we did a whole lot of errands and now I'm here at the library. Come on, doesn't anybody know of some good books to read? Somebody comment one. Or maybe the problem is that Mama has to approve them...
Well, ya'll have a good day.
(And by the way, I have almost always used the word ya'll. I do adopt parts of each mini-culture I visit, but that particular part I adopted some nine or ten years ago.)

Oh, I'll tell you one other thing.
That food we made this morning! So delicious! We got some hamburger from the store and cooked eggs with garlic (fresh!) and then put hamburger with onion and spices over it! Ephraim, to his credit, cooked it. Oh, it was so good! I stood up and clapped at the end of the meal, and then, surprised at myself, added to Ephraim,
"This meal deserves a standing applause."
It was, again, very yummy.

2 comments:

linda said...

too dern funny! Now maybe you could ask a few of the locals how to spell y'all cuz I was told to spell it y'all an you spell it ya'll so find out for me k!? N i do not like thunderstorms they scare me :( I like to watch n i do not like to watch, i guess cuz I know lightning can hurt n even kill you. anywho I will keep thinking of books for you n yes make sure Jen approves ha ha ;) love you

Havi said...

Oh, I probably misspell it. I may have gotten the word from them, but the spelling's my own! Hey, I don't HAVE to have Mama's approval to read something now, even though it definitely recommends it to me.