For more Goodenough adventures,
follow our Instagram @TheGoodenoughFamily

Wednesday, December 07, 2011

Pride and Eyre

She said,
"He wasn't like this when we married. He was like a child. I was too. We played house, we played love."

She said,
"I could have left him when I needed more. Instead I knelt and made him my master. I served him. I obeyed him,.. and he made me beautiful."

She said,
"The longer I love and serve him, the more like a character out of a great book he becomes. He is like Mr. Darcy in Pride and Predjuduce or like Jane's Mr. Rochester. It is not quite like, 'Sweet Alice with eyes so brown, who wept with delight when he gave her a smile, and trembled with fear at his frown.'"

She said,
"Sometimes I fear him (in a way that I like). He leads and controls and yet he is forever on my side. He sometimes appears unmovable and fierce before me and yet, I know him so well. I know that he is mine."

She said,
"In him, the crippled child will find compassion. In him are gentleness, generosity and creativity."

She said,
"He is becoming more and more the man of my wildest dreams and I am becoming the woman I always wished I could be but never dared to hope. I am like those heroines of the best movies, that I always envied. Not in the mirror.. not anymore.. ,but in secret."

1 comment:

Heather Russell said...

I identify strongly with this post as God has been doing a beautiful work in us as I bowed the knee to my God by bowing it to my husband.

The same thing is happening, he is leading and making me beautiful and our family a fruitful place.

And look at those men, the crippled child receive their kindness.

I wish all women would have this.