For more Goodenough adventures,
follow our Instagram @TheGoodenoughFamily

Saturday, March 21, 2020

Happy Birthday, Mom. From Leon

Out of all the wonderful memories of my childhood I remember the times I went ice skating with my mom as some of the best. It was around the time that I was about 10. My mom and I made a deep connection during those times.
In the morning we would each eat a bowl of cereal. She would eat All Bran and I would eat Basic Four or something like that.
Then we would get in the Toyota Corona and drive to Jantzen Beach mall. The mall had a carnival feel. There was a carousel, caramel apples, nuts and chocolate. Mom would buy little treats for me that we would share together. In those days the mall was full of people. I remember DJ's Records and being excited to see the top 10.
We took our shoes off, put them in lockers and put our skates and skate guards on. We brought our own skates, they were Ridell's.  Then walked together to the rink.
We began skating to "dancing  queen" by Abba, Fly Robin Fly, some Peter Frampton or maybe KC and the Sunshine Band. Sometimes we held hands while skating.
Then we would meet with our private teachers. My teachers name was, Dody Askey. They taught us tricks and spins and figures.
After practice we skated around with friends and sprayed snow on each other with hockey stops. We chased each other and played hard. I learned that I could make good friends. When we were tired we
took our skates off and rubbed our feet. Sometimes I would untie mom's skates. We got a little something on the way home, a drink or an ice cream.
Today my mom is 89 years old. I'm excited about The Lord renewing all things including our aging bodies. I love my mom now and I will love her still when we leave this earth and feel like ice skating again. I hope that we will still want to rub our feet, They won't get sore anymore but it always felt so good.
Happy Birthday, Mom

No comments: