For more Goodenough adventures,
follow our Instagram @TheGoodenoughFamily

Monday, May 23, 2016

Velas Part 9

I soon got the edges of a large log already half-coal to glow, and after adding some small sticks that were sure to burn hotly, I jumped on the swing and went back and forth around the trees a couple times, getting more proficient than ever at one of my less common and show-offy maneuvers (I liked ones that looked cool, but the more difficult to pull off it was, the more fun it was when you did it). I came back and blew on the fire, and then sauntered over to a eucalyptus tree. I plucked a young leaf and crushed it in my hand. I knew that late into that day, whenever I brought my hand up near my face, I would still smell that powerful minty scent.
I put it in my pocket.
When the fire was bright, I put on the grate (a framework of crossed thick wires which we had found in an empty lot to the left) and then the pan. Its bottom was black and covered in charcoal from many times of being on the fire. The carrots slowly cooked and blackened, and by the time they were done I could carry them inside and dump them on the rice Asaph had made. The preparations for dinner were well on their way. There was also salad and fruit to be served, and I looked forward to an especially good feast.
Mama was cutting oranges and kiwis (which meant we were to be unusually civilized this dinner) and arranging them on a plate. I always wondered why she cut the fruit and let Zuriel hold the baby.
Actually later she started switching things around so she had more time with Lazuli.
I was especially conscious of how dirty the floor was and how it felt to rub my black soles on the black wood. Once we spilled water on it and tried to scrub it. We were surprised to find that its natural color was very light.
Yeah, no matter how many times you swept that thing it would still be possible to rub some dark fine dirt out of it with your toe.

No comments: