For more Goodenough adventures,
follow our Instagram @TheGoodenoughFamily

Sunday, May 22, 2016

Velas Part 8

"Wow, you brought that too!"
"Maple syrup!"
"Oh, it's been SO long since we've had that!"
"Peanut butter!" Nehemiah roared. He has a strange voice that roars when he is excited.
In Chile they do not sell peanut butter.
"Oh, thank you so much," Mama said, sounding more happy than she had in a long time. I stepped over to the living room (it was only one step from the counter) and looked at what she was holding. "Diaper covers!" She explained.
Hm, they sure didn't look like cloth diaper covers to me. I went back to cutting.
I finished in only fifteen minutes and pushed the last batch of carrots into the bowl; I'd have two frying-pans full.
Since they were cooking inside, I got the frying pan which was hanging, greased and clean, from a nail we had put in the wall in the kitchen. Actually there were a lot of nails in the kitchen to hang things on.
Outside, where the sunlight made the sky blue and the eucalyptus and pines tan and green and the little clouds white and happy, there was a table Ephraim had made by the firepit. Naphti had already piled little sticks on the fire for me and all I had to do was make the blaze a little bigger, heat the coals I already had saved up there, and add some logs on either side to make room for the piece of grate I would rest the pan on.

Because Mama thought this was confusing: I cut the carrots inside, took them outside and fried them with the peanuts. And brought them back in.

No comments: