For more Goodenough adventures,
follow our Instagram @TheGoodenoughFamily

Saturday, May 21, 2016

Velas Part 7

To think that the gringos were coming over! It would be so cool to see what we used to be kind of like before we went to Chile. They came in without even saying "permiso" and we had them sit on the couch and some people engaged in bright and interesting conversation while some others of us started on dinner.
"Havilah, can you do the carrots?" We were making one of our recently favorite dishes, with burnt carrots, mani (peanuts) con limon (with lemon), and rice. Mama had to get Asaph to make the rice, which meant it wouldn't be very well cooked. But whatever, it was still really good.
I grabbed a large double handful of carrots and washed them in the bathroom sink (we only had one sink). The water was cold, but not as cold as it felt in the morning when you first washed your face. I glanced at my face in the mirror and rubbed my cheek on my shoulder, getting rid of a smudge of charcoal. Then, afraid that I would start to think about my appearance instead of how I should be carrying myself, I made an ugly face and then looked away grinning.
I scrubbed a part of the wooden counter and laid the carrots on top of the clean side of the plastic store bag they had come from. Then I took out Mama's fancy knife and started cutting, listening delightfully to the conversation.

No comments: