For more Goodenough adventures,
follow our Instagram @TheGoodenoughFamily

Friday, August 10, 2012

Second Chilean Sunday meeting


 We were picked up Sunday morning in a minivan with 7 seats. All together, we squeezed 13 people in there (not counting the unborn). On the way there we sang a Liberian praise song. When we got there we sat down and began singing hymns in Spanish. After songs, testimonies, prayers and a sermon an usher came to talk to me. I said, "no intiendo, lo ciento", which means "I'm sorry, I don't understand." He kept trying and I understood that he wanted me to come with him for tea. I followed him outside to a table set with mugs of black tea and plates of tea cookies and bread slices spread with egg salad. Everyone in the building was coming out and having some. 
They all kissed and greeted us. Usually you just press your right cheek to theirs, hold their shoulders and make the kissing sound. I like this way of greeting very much but it is a bit awkward for my big boys and Leon. Even very young ladies are expected to greet Ephraim and the others this way. One lady kissed me and then said in English, "I love you very much". I knew that she had learned these English words and was glad for a chance to use them. It was so sweet. I loved her instantly too even though I don't think she knew quite how this sentiment is used where I'm from. 
After tea everything seemed to start over. More songs, testimonies, prayers and another sermon. During this sermon, a man sat next to Leon and a woman sat next to me, to interpret the sermon for us. It was very difficult for me. Elsie was asleep in my arms and I was becoming more and more physically uncomfortable in my pregnancy. The sermon went on and on until I didn't think I could stand it much longer. 
We had brought a few instruments in with us because we understood that we were to sing in the second service. It was unclear to us whether we were currently attending the second service or whether we would need to go through the closing embraces with these folks and then be welcomed by the next congregation. We kept talking to every one (in Spanish) until most of the people had left. We had been their for 3 hours. Then the pastor who brought us said, "okay", and we were to follow him out.
We found out at this time that the second service is at 6:30 at night. We were going to walk to his house for lunch and come back later for the second service.
I can't describe how impossible this seemed to me. Only someone managing 9 children while 6 months pregnant in a foreign land could understand how close I could teeter to desperation at this point. I knew that the strength of body and emotion was not in me to complete this long day and evening. I was able to keep talking to God and asking for His strength. You would think by watching us that day that we were strong and happy people. It was God who accomplished it all that day. It wasn't fun, but it was a very good day.
We were served a wonderful meal and tea. The family (including their 3 young children) was completely loving and welcoming despite the facts that our conversation potential was limited and the 11 of us were complete strangers to them who were staying ALL DAY LONG. Their entire house was probably about 200 sq ft of well ordered simplicity.
We walked back for the second service. It was ordered just like the morning service. I gave up and went to the little nursery. Elsie and I sat in the dark and she fell asleep. A few of the children came in and I didn't expect them to go back. We all sat in the dark and relaxed. Leon, Ephraim and Havilah sang Brians song, "I will not be Shaken" and Leon's "And the Stars" after the sermon. They were very encouraging and receptive. About three hours later it was time to come out and be loved and embraced in departing.
We felt like we hadn't visited their church meeting but rather, joined their family and maybe attended a wedding and a very moving funeral with them all in the same day. It was grueling, unbearable and yet very, very good. God gave us (even the children) strength and endurance. We finally reached our home at about 10:15 PM. We learned to speak more Spanish Sunday than the whole rest of the time we've been in Chile. We want to continue to attend Spanish speaking churches so that we can experience Chilean culture. 

2 comments:

Xeandra said...

I suspect that "experiencing the Chilean culture" would involve many days like this, spent entirely with other families.

Xeandra said...

I suspect that experiencing Chilean culture will involve many days like this one, spent entirely with other families.