For more Goodenough adventures,
follow our Instagram @TheGoodenoughFamily

Monday, December 14, 2015

Orchestra or Choir or Both?

The sermon was so boring I wasn't even inspired to write a poem about the content. Usually, I sit in a sermon with a notebook and write something that, to the average human, looks to be absolutely irrelevant. However, it usually has something to do with preaching that same sermon in my own way--it's called inspiration, and anything in the world that makes me feel anything at all can inspire me to write.
But not this sermon.
The total number of notes I took was TWO. And plus the guy kept repeating the same disturbing and annoying phrase:
"Put the SCREWS on SCROOGE".
I don't have anything against that guy, I just don't think he's very good at his job.

HOWEVER:
After the "regular service", Grandpa and Ephraim and I walked over to another building.

I get a strong, mysterious feeling whenever I walk through a school, and I think, "They spend half their days here half their lives. Is it fun? Do they feel like I do--like I could make a grand story out of a place like this. What would I do if I lived like they do? But I never ever will. It is beyond my reach..." I want to wander the halls and classrooms and see the ghosts of the people that still come there daily. Still, I wouldn't be satisfied. Because, just like the gleam of darkness in the forest ahead, or the closed doors in the alley, mystery will always jump further away. The end of the rainbow is just out of sight.

There was a grumpy looking lady who played two or three drums a half-step too late every time, a handsome man with longish blond hair who played a small cello as if he had better things to do, a lady that surprised me with her excellent singing and a man that surprised me with his bad.
And yet, seeing an orchestra live for the first time after I had learned to appreciate music, I was at once overwhelmed and overjoyed. Not only was the music very beautiful and heart-stirring, but the words were about God and I wondered, is it okay to allow the enjoyment of music and the enjoyment of Him to mingle?
The stringed instruments, when played together, have a much more thready sound, if you know what I mean. I like that sound as well, but I had a hankering for some of the instruments to solo, like the guy with the bigger cello that was almost like a stand-up bass. Or the lady with a viola. I want to learn cello and viola and piano. Is that a bit ambitious? Nonetheless if I can imitate an entire choir it will be better for my movie soundtracks.

I've been applying for jobs so that Ephraim and I will be less dependent on Papa and I am interviewing tomorrow at Sitel. Pray for me! I know how to take life in a more laid-back way thanks to Kiraba (a character in my book). I would like the job though; it would help Ephraim and I.
I guess a thiwuba's not "causual business attire" though, right? Oh well.
I guess I'll be acting again, as a person who knows what she's doing at her first interview.
The End

No comments: