For more Goodenough adventures,
follow our Instagram @TheGoodenoughFamily

Thursday, October 29, 2015

Half-day

By the time we got into the kitchen this morning, it was already almost 10:00.
We were utterly behind on... everything.
But I had a spring in my step and a song on my lips as I finished washing dishes and laundry. Ephraim actually cooks more than I do now, and he made a pea-noodle-hamburger casserole after I put beans to soak. (I said we were behind--we were going to start them soaking two days ago!)
I whistled one thing, he finished, and as we worked about the house we went back and forth, completing tunes and weaving in others and making new ones, always leaving space for a reply. As we waited for breakfast to cook, we sat in the front room as we always do, I writing and he reading. By the time we ate it was lunch time. Yeah, we slept in and took our time this morning, but it's only because we're waiting on a couple things.
Then we went to work on Kung Fu.

"You must pray for forgiveness." I said in Incarnacion's voice.
"I don't believe in God--I only believe in science." I added.
"Ignacio, you are a man of the clothe!" My Incarnacion's voice broke into laughter. Ephraim joined in.
"Go on, feel it! I made dem."
"No, Ignacio. People might get the wrong idea about you."
From there on it went downhill.

We were supposed to work on it yesterday, but instead we devoted this day to it.
At lunch, where we had the same thing (we had to finish it because, how is one supposed to preserve such food?), we started talking grammar again. Whenever we talk grammar, it gets extremely interesting. You see, he thinks that there is a correct grammar. He thinks that we must do our best to speak with this correct grammar, which is not self-contradictory.
I think that as long as the person you are conversing with understands you, there is no right or wrong way to speak. You choose your speech as you choose your personality, as you choose your self-expression.
Yeah, I guess that's all we did today... just philosophize and eat and practice.
I still feel like I did a lot today.
Maybe it's because every time I think about these hard things that nobody understands, I get one step further. I memorize one more thought pattern, making it easier to skip the preliminary thoughts. Then my energy is spent on the core problem. I still don't even know what my questions are yet, but when I figure them, I'll consider a good amount of progress to have been made!

3 comments:

linda said...

Ha ha that is neat you and Ephraim can take turns with the song back n forth awesome! I do not know what you guys were quoting from. Enlighten me.... :) & I may not understand some of the other stuff you said, I will have to go back n read it again, maybe it had to do with school studies for that day or just your train of thinking for that day? As to the other thing I hear both of you Ephraim and Havilah. I think we should speak with proper grammer etc. (this is coming from someone who obviously does not always speak n type in proper grammer punctuation etc) but I know I should n we should, but yes we all have our dif personalities too so that does take a part in how we speak etc. I ( along with a lot of folx nowadays) have just gotten lazy in speech and in text, typing etc. Sorry. But I do love how they spoke back when and on a lot of old books n movies! They were amazing. Wish we all spoke like that better today, but I guess I need to embrace the day n age I am in eh? ha ha enough of philosophy with auntie linda ha ha ha love all your posts!

Havi said...

Nacho Libre! If I don't specify, it's gotta be Nacho Libre.
Hey, I think everybody can talk however they want as long as they're understood. And not rude, I guess, but rudeness is good too sometimes.
Yeah, I like how they spoke then! I try to incorporate my favorite parts of their speech.

linda said...

yes! Ya know I HAVE NEVER WATCHED NACHO LIBRE at all ha ha so one of those silly films i just have not bothered to watch i guess ha ha someday ha ha yes once in a while i try to throw in a long sophisticated word ha ha ;) in my speech or typing texting ;)