For more Goodenough adventures,
follow our Instagram @TheGoodenoughFamily

Friday, June 11, 2010

Firsts

We just finished our third day. Things are going so well. There have been many firsts: Noodles, swings and slides at the park, sweatshirt zippers, socks (Leon was on the floor with Patrick showing him how to put these on), baths, riding a bike, writing the alphabet letters (I taught Sim how to write the letters, A and B today), math, reading, indoor water, toilets, electricity, seeing a cat (they won't touch it yet) and so many more.

They are polite, have excellent table manners, are caring, kind, patient (usually), obedient (usually), quiet, happy, playful, healthy, hard workers etc. They had to join right in with chores the morning after they got here.

Because I am working to create attachment to Patrick and Simeon, I am doing the same things with my other children. I find myself bonding more with all of the children. I am appreciating the children that have been here all along more than I did before.

Leon and I knew going into this that the children we adopted may never bond to us or may never love us. We could not go into this to meet any of our needs. Happily though, it seems very likely that they will be able to form attachments to us and even love us as their family.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have happy chills as i hear your heart through the written word and how great it sounds like it is going! I knew you guys would be great!!! Thank you for sharing the experience with us, we feel blessed and are excited to meet your "new" family! Love, Kayla

erin said...

best post ever. love this so much. xoxo - e