For more Goodenough adventures,
follow our Instagram @TheGoodenoughFamily

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

update and mutual respect

Not much to report: The new laws are passed in Liberia. They appear to not require residency. The minister said that he would finish the 'in process' adoptions "soon". Havilah laughed when I told her that. She has learned that "soon" coming from the Liberian government doesn't tell us much. It's been 2 years now scince we began the adoption process. One of the favorable things about Liberian adoption at that time was the short process. The adoptions were completed and the children home in an average of 4 months after the dossier got to Liberia. Ours has been there almost 2 years now. We know more than ever that God has the children and our family in His hand and He is very present all our lives and furthering His will with us. We have held the adoption loosely the entire time and have been very willing to give it up and go another direction. God has kept us waiting and it's been very good.

We have been spending a lot of time at Faragut park. The other day we saw a total of 27 deer while there. Some were while we were on the trails and the rest were while we were driving out of the park.
We are learning so much about relationships, grace, church and each other. One major thing that we have figured out is that there has to be mutual respect in a relationship. A relationship where one is looking down on the other, or judging him is fine for a while but, then it starts to leave a bad taste in the mouth of the one looked down on. There is not much trust in these relationships. There is love but, not mutual respect.

We wonder if we did this to some of our friends in Portland. (Please tell us if we have, we will believe you.) We may have treated them as less spiritual because they had less children or tried to pull them up to our level of "-ness", we may have looked down on those who ate differently etc.
Here in Northern Idaho we have experienced how it feels to be on the receiving end. We don't play the 'right music', use the 'right bible version', have our hair the 'right style', 'fellowship the right amount or the right way', Fellowship with the 'right people', etc.

I want to learn about loving others from my sister Erin and other friends that we have that I know always assume the best from us.


3 comments:

Xeandra said...

Consider it pure joy when you face trials of many kinds.
It often takes suffering of some kind to humble us. I have been on the judging end of relationships so much in my life. So many relationships that, sadly I destroyed. Suffering showed me who loved me, and suffering opened my eyes to how severely I was judging others.

Goodenoughs, we have probably each thought ourselves better than the other on some issue or another. But I know that you love us and I hope you know that we love and respect you.

erin said...

I love your heart, Jennifer.

I have so many people in my life who are so different than I am. I like to attend a church with 4 walls and a pastor and staff. I am conservative in my political views. I have about 30 friends that hate conservative ideas to an extreme and are very liberal (pro gay marriage, pro-choice) and they honor God differently than I do.

I have come to know that as long as I am honoring God and loving others the way I know He wants me to, then nothing else matters. I can fellowship with Christians who see things differently, because we serve the same Creator.

It's such a struggle for me to not judge those who support liberal agendas, but I am commanded to love and that's what I have to do.

I love and respect and adore all of you and know that we love and serve the same God, even if we do it differently.

There is one thing that Chris and I always say, however, that "Those Goodenoughs want to do the will of the Father and that's all that matters in this temporary home we call Earth."

That is our goal and we might be taking another path, but the mutual glory of our God will always keep us loving one another.

Jilann said...

Well, I'm hopeful I'll soon be reading news that the adoption is going through. At least it is still progressing. That's awesome!

We love your family so very much. We appreciate any of the times that we get to spend with you. The fellowship is rich, challenging, and FUN. I know we have differences, but we sure do enjoy our friendship with you all immensely!!! I hope you really know that.